Monday, March 8, 2010

'To Kill a Mockingbird' Play

Dear Sec 3 Literature students

On 6 March 2010, you viewed the play 'To Kill a Mockingbird' produced by Toy Factory.

What are some of your thoughts after the play? Name some of the most memorable moments and those that you thought were particularly thought provoking. Were there other parts that you disliked?

Share your thoughts with your classmates by commenting on this post.

Please state your name and class when you comment.

Cheers!
Ms Rani

5 comments:

  1. The play was quite nice,it seemed intimidating at first,with all the 'players' singing,as I dont watch plays,this is my first or second time watching it.Different plays have different startings,Off centre is an example,so I was unsure of how the play was going to turn out.After that,the play was quite interesting,interesting enough for me to pay attention and not fall asleep :P The story is quite nice and the 'players' are quite nice too >.<

    Daniel
    [D]

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol daniel act cute. :D

    I especially loved the part where Tom Robinson(?) got shot 17 times and they used the red light on the backdrop to depict blood. It's my first time watching a play and I thought it would be really boring with a lot of speech but this play really turned out different from what I expected. Haha.

    I found Scout and Jem very annoying though :D

    Another memorable part was when they were holding court!! To tell the truth I didn't really understand much at the start of the play (because I didn't read the sypnosis), but everything just became clear then.

    The twist regarding Boo Radly was surprising, but it feels as if it doesn't really have much link to the rest of the play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, I think it was more or less my first time watching a play as well.

    Thoughts after the play? Well, it got me thinking about racism and how it is being countered today. Perhaps it is an more just society today than from before- 'To Kill a Mocking Bird' is indeed not a recent work after all- but prejudice, racism, among others are certainly still in power. Felt it was extremely unfair for one to be judged based on something that they themselves are unable to control.

    I loved the start, where the cast sang "Ella's Song" and the line stayed with me even after the play- "We who believe in freedom cannot rest until it comes." The lighting was superb throughout the whole play and I love how some scenes where carried out, for example, the scene in which Atticus kills the mad dog.

    One of the lines that left a deepest impact on me is "This case is as simple as black and white." The line has double meanings- or even more. One, it could mean that is was simple, for black and white are simple plain colors and it could mean that the case was simple and transparent.

    On the other hand, black and white meant the different skin colors present in the case. The case is just a choice of color. For this one, justice was absent, it was only a matter of color- Tom Robbison was charged simply for daring to be a Negro. All the blame was put on him for simply being "black" and different from the "white"s who were held superior.

    Disliked? Well, being stuck somewhere in the book, I have some knowledge of it and can tell that this play is a very condensed version of it. I guess it was a little messy and confusing at times, especially for those who did not have prior knowledge.

    Well, yes, I crap too much for my own good. Okay. (Sorry 'bout that.)

    I loved it when the cast sang. Definitely go if they make a musical adaption. Yes, music is awesome. *sparkle* OKAY. OKAY. GOING.

    Justina, 305

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never actually watched a play before, thus I don't really know which plays are considered good and which not.

    The play was rather confusing, in fact, some of my friends who did not know the content of the play did not understand fully what was going on. I had read the book beforehand although it was some time ago so I understood the play as it went on.

    Atticus was portrayed as a very impartial man (lawyer) who did not discriminate against "black" people. I respected him because he stood up for the ostracised people in society despite being jeered at by others.

    Jem and Scout's relationship intrigued me. Scout is an innocent young girl who has not yet learned the evil doings of society, whereas Jem knows a tad more than her. Jem knows when not to do something and stops Scout from things she shouldn't do.

    Jem and Scout disobeys Atticus because they care about him. Even though most of the story revolves around the rape case, we can see that the family shares close bonds and Atticus is well-respected by all.

    The play clearly shows how corrupt the society is today and how people of different races/religions are often looked down upon and despised by the "better" race. Justice did not prevail when it came to "black and white" cases.

    The play is not only interesting, it also relates to reality and the world we live in. (:

    Yorksun, 310!

    ReplyDelete
  5. P/S: The opening and ending songs were really good, especially the opening one with the sound effects of the chairs. I thought the idea of using chairs was pretty unique.

    Oh - and the quote which relates to the title: "They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."

    It's a sin to judge people of different races because they are harmless to us!

    ReplyDelete