Sunday, April 5, 2009

Blog Entry for April

Dear all

In The Straits Times (Monday 6 April 2009 Page A14) you might have read an article titled, 'Scientists locate brain's moral centre'. What are your opinions on this finding? Has this article changed your perspective on morality? What is your moral compass?

Please comment on this entry by Monday 13 April 2009.

See you in class
Ms Rani

46 comments:

  1. ker weixiang .29 th .April 6, 2009 at 2:08 AM

    maybe in the future they'll invent something that can control our minds to make us do weird stuff . then it'll be really easy for world domination .
    "dont like it ? "
    then zap , that person becomes brainwashed or something .
    then does things he doesnt want to do .
    which might be against his morals, but the people dont care , cause they achieve their goal .

    ReplyDelete
  2. This finding is totally unbelievable as the scientists found out that humans use some parts of the brain specifically when faced with moral dilemmas. This article has not made me change my perspective on morality but it has set me thinking why some people can act against their conscience like hurting someone if it is proven that our brain does think and work to control our actions. Maybe their brain is damaged? Haha... What's my moral compass? I won't try to do anything I feel that I will regret later on and i won't do anything that would cause harm to anybody. I also feel that honesty is the best policy, although its difficult to do so sometimes. Well, just don't go against our morals and do things that are obviously wrong! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading the article, I was quite appalled that the notion of morals is actually a basic "instinct" in humans. I once thought that the ability to think morally only developed much later in Man's evolution, which might explain why so many people today are ignoring their conscience and committing heinous crimes. However, after being enlightened on the fact that my previous assumption was untrue, I cannot understand any longer why inhuman acts pepper the history of human kind and persist even till this day. Nevertheless, my opinion on and definition of morality have not changed the least. I would still try my best to not act against my conscience and not to bring harm anybody around me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. after reading this article,i im quite shocked by the fact that humans can actually control some parts of their brains spefically when faced with moral dilemmas.then why there are still so many people like murders who commits heinous crimes when they can actually control their brains and actions? maybe part of their brains are damaged or what,haha. also, they say that people with morbid obesity shows scans that they have abnormal response to food. so mayb in the future sciencetist can invent some microchips to control people's brain, and there will no longer be obesed people. slimming centres will all close down if that's the case , hahahaha.

    cristabelle 07

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was very shocked when I read the article. I cannot believe that our brains can actually be controlled. Does it mean that we can be controlled by things within? If that's the case, why is the crime rate so high? Are the murderers thinking at all, or have their brains stopped working to stop their actions! I think if everyone is controlled by some parts of the brains, they are able to set goals and achieve them. Also, I will try my best not go against my moral and not hurt anyone!

    Shuning 309

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that this discovery may be very helpful to scientists & neurologists for future study of the human brain. To know that our brain can control our moral thinking when certain parts are activated.

    If so, won't scientists be able to control our brains if they have done deeper research on how to activate these points?
    Then, brain control may be possible & people would be able to control each other's brains.
    This may lead to bad consequences if fallen into the wrong hands.

    However, if the research is kept confidential & out of bad hands, this may be the most amazing discovery yet.

    Dorothy 309

    ReplyDelete
  7. i did not know that humans can actually control some parts of their brains specifically when faced with moral dilemmas.
    it makes me wonder whether morality is really the key for people's obedience to conscience.if that's the case, then why are some people able to act against their conscience and do things that will hurt others? aren't suppose to be able restrain themselves due to their brains being able to control the actions?
    it has definitely questioned my perspective on morality as i always thought that murderers murder people because they lack the education and they could not resist their urge to do something so wrong. it never occurred to me that their can be controlled my part of their brains. as for me, i think that morality is very important in everybody because you can only be a normal human being if you have moral and being able to think sensibly and clearly.
    in the article, it also states that people who suffer from obesity tend to be driven to eat as their brain respond powerfully to food. i think that in the future, scientists can come out with a certain microchip that can control these urge and emotions so that there won't people that have to suffer from obesity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. After i read the article, im actually quite amazed at what the scientist found out. before this, i had no idea that there was this special part in the brain.

    This would mean that morals are actually something instilled into humans once they are born. Then why are there people who still do things that are against the law? This must be because of the environment they are brought up in.

    However, i still think that moral values need to be built up individually as it does not exist as a natural talent. The environment we are brought up in will play an important part in it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. fengyu

    i think i dont really have very brilliant comments to make, but i am kinda amazed by the this article. however, this article didn't change my perspective of moral value. but cos i am quite keen in my own moral that's been taught since young, and i demonstrate faith in it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Before reading the article, i had no idea that there was a moral centre in the brain. Which means that moral is something that everyone has. However, this does not change my perspective of morality. I think that people's concept of morals are just a little different. However, I still think that morals are still values that can and should be taught correctly. I am shocked to hear that humans can actually control their brain because if they did, then why are there still people who go against their conscience? Why are there people who are unable to resist temptations?

    I think that this discovery is an amazing. If they are able to go deeper, they would be able to help those with moral dilemmas, which is a very difficult problem to overcome.

    Ronghua 310

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't think that this was possible until I read this article. It's like so amazing.
    Imagine this, you could actually find out a person's moral by it's brain. Cool...

    But why? People could actually control their morals but they choose not to. They let the "bad side" of their brains control them instead.
    Low Jian Sheng 310

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is an extremely amazing discovery. All this while, I have always thought that some people always commmit atrocious acts because they lack self-control, and that their minds have probably been brainwashed. However, this discovery proves that you have the ability to control your mind. If so, why do many people still do bad things and go against their conscience?

    Perhaps scientists can make use of this discovery to help people who lack self-control. They could modify their minds and make them more impartial, able to differentiate right from wrong. This would probably prevent them from doing wrong. If this succeeds, the crime rate in the world would decrease significantly, making it a better place to live in!

    Nevertheless, we should all work hard to provide all people with a good environment to grow up in since their birth and emphasise good moral values to them. I believe that the way you are brought up influences your moral beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was shocked by this news that scientists can locate the brain's moral centre and that there are various parts of the brain responsible for human actions like when the person is faced with moral dilemmas. And perhaps even about human conditions like empathy, compassion and emotional stability in the later years. It seems that the actions that people do are actually voluntary, according to specific brain processes and not actually due to human nature which is different for various people.
    Whereas for other disorders like gambling and obesity, it actually has something got to do with the abnormal response that people have towards food, such that it is the brains responding too powerfully that cause the person to eat too much.

    It changed my perspective on morality. Initially, i thought that people does things according to their own unique set of thinking which they are incapable of controlling,yet this article tells me otherwise. In this way, it shows that everyone has the ability to control since everyone has a moral centre in their mind, with that it shows that people are actually doing what they know is wrong. I do not agree with this as i believe that there are other factors affecting peoples' thinking,such as the people who might influence them and it's not always the moral centre that controls it.Nevertheless, it's still a great discovery with regards to the human brain such that humans have discovered another significant trait about the human mind and that they can try to control human minds in times of need. examples are tht for people with psycological disorders, doctors can prevent their condition from worsening by controlling their state of mind.

    -peiqin:D (13) 310=]

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cool. Since scientist can contol parts of our brain, why dont they control everyone and make sure they are generous and be a good man. Example like letting the rich donate money to the poor to allow them to study. And also control the minds of robbers, and drug addicts. With the aid of this and technology, Im sure the world would be brought to a greater heights.(:
    -JOANNAFONG!:D

    ReplyDelete
  15. well the previous comment didn't comment much about the morals so yeah, here i am commenting again.
    i would think that this may and may not affect our morals. this depends on whether or not it might be used for good or for bad.
    personally, i do have my own set of morals.
    a reason why people keep committing crimes and succumbing to their temptations are partially because of their morals in life.
    they should not be blamed if their parents taught them that those morals they have wer correct, yet it does not mean that they can escape punishment so easily.
    i think that if scientists were to use this new found information to devise a reformative plan for felons, they might be able to reform faster.
    i believe that though it has a positive effect, there also can be a negative effect.
    like hypnotism, it wears off after a certain period of time, what about this?
    i think that though people have their morals, it would be hard to abide by them through different times, myself not exempted.

    -ker wei xiang, 309, 29 .

    ReplyDelete
  16. @ ker wei xiang: lol Yuri and Yuriko Omega can already mind control, dont need machine also can. Anyway, this would be great as repeat offenders in crimes like serial killers, rapists etc. could be made to wear a maching that controls their impulse to do whatever they want to do that is illegal.

    ReplyDelete
  17. although this had became a great finding in the world of sciences, i think it does not really benefit us. by knowing that in our brain there are moral centres that control our actions, feelings and movements, people tend to research more on how to control the human's mind.
    this article had indeed changed my view on morality. All men are built to respond to different situations, are able to control themselves in certain circumstances, have certain feelings to some things and do things on their accord. since the brain has a moral centre, why are people still doing illegal things and do harm to others?
    my moral compass is to be able to face my conscience on whatever i do. also, to be respectful and considerate to us. however this is rather difficult, for example i want to give my seat to an old lady, however i do not know how to approach her...
    -nichol[309]:D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Let nature run its course, exploring the brain would cause horrible things to happen. Morals is a confusing part of life....russell lim

    ReplyDelete
  19. I find it intriguing that we are made so incredibly as our minds have many various parts that provides vital functions like a moral centre. I find it also comforting that we have such functions in our brains but if our moral centre are not educated properly it would be of no use. Having good morals in life is very important to guide us.
    This article has not changed my perspective of morality.
    Bryant Tan, 309, (25)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This discovery made me change my opinion on the issue of morality. Initially, i thought that morality was something that you aquire while growing up and going through experiences. However, now i feel that
    since the day that we were born, morality has already been instilled in us, it's just how we express it and how it changes with our surroundings.
    It also led me to think that in the future, scientists and neurologists would be able to tweek the brains of the people suffering from afflictions such as gambling and drug addicts,
    obese people and mentally ill people in order to help them change their mindsets
    and perspectives and improve their conditions. To me, morality is something very personal and all of us have our own perspectives and behaviour. I think that however much morality and
    human behaviour might change for the better or worse in the future, we should always stay true to ourselves. HAHA so inspirational.\
    -SAYHUA 6 (310!)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This article had been an eye-opener for me. This remarkable breakthrough I believe, would establish a relationship between humanity and their moral beliefs and ethics. By identifying the component of the brain which aids humans when they are faced with difficult moral dilemmas, we can exploit that component to study the basic human instincts and emotions, which will serve as an essential and vital discovery in the near future.
    I firmly believe that each individual will posses an element of self-control and a set of moral principles which gives us each our individuality. Each of our response towards certain circumstances will contain an element of self-conscience. For instance, a die-hard gambler, although reluctant to leave the gambling den, would leave as he is reminded of his family members and his self-conscience. Although it is a debatable fact, it goes to show that each one of us possess an element of self-control and conscience.
    Garrick - 310

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am appalled by this find that we actually have a part of our brain controlling our moral values. I believe this research, however, would not prove to be any useful as should this be used a 'bad' way, we would all be no different from murderers and criminals. On the other hand, should this have been used in a 'good' way, in what way are we human beings when we are being controlled: our thinking, our actions and our behaviour are all routinised or scheduled. So concluding my paragraph, I feel that this research is just another piece of 'global warming' poster.
    Tan Yu Peng 310 35

    ReplyDelete
  23. This article was amazing. Science is amazing. So many new things are discovered everyday, and now scientists have also found the part of our brains controlling our moral values. But then again I think to myself. Does this mean that crimes are only commited because the portion of the criminals' brains are not working the way they should?

    It is because of this that I hope the scientists can further their discoveries and find a way to change the moral perceptions of these people and at the same time prevent this technology from getting into the wrong hands.

    BiLLY
    310

    ReplyDelete
  24. hmm..
    everyone have different views on what is "moral"
    which i think its just like different people having different emotions.
    i hope that scienctist DO NOT invent something in the future that can change people's moral perception.
    simply because..

    IF that happens, what is the difference between HUMAN and R O B O T S ?

    jieyi309

    ReplyDelete
  25. First of all, I think these scientists are biting off more than they can chew. I don't see why they have to conduct research on our brains to see how our emotions occur.

    Like they say,"Curiosity killed the cat." Learning these may open up more doors and possibilities for mankind in the future but it could also lead to humanity's self-destruction. Over-reliance on technology will eventually ruin the human race.

    If in the future, scientists can change the morals of a person, I think that is just a selfish act. Everyone has their own right to believe what is right or wrong.

    However, I say 'right or wrong'. Not 'good or bad'. Everyone in this world has their own morality, their own sense of right and wrong, but no one in this world truly has the right to determine what is 'right' and what is 'wrong'.

    Right and wrong is not what differentiates us from our enemies, its our different views, standpoints and opinions.

    However, good and bad are already decided in the world. No matter who looks at it, giving money to a beggar is good while killing someone else is bad. Even a murderer will know that what he is doing is bad but to him, it is the right, but not good, thing to do.

    No one should be allowed to interfere with your morals, because that is one of the few things in the world that is unique to you and only you possess it no matter how similar it may seem to other people's.

    Russell Lee Russell, 310

    ReplyDelete
  26. Tong Jin Sui (21) 309April 11, 2009 at 5:26 AM

    Firstly, I feel that the scientists are doing something quite out of their specialty. They should be trying to catch up with the 'fast-developing' diseases and finding cures to them. Not trying to go against the Nature and looking for ways to modify the human's brain.

    This article has not changed my perspective towards morality. It has in turn made me feel disgusted if I will really, one day, face the world where everybody has a modified mind and morality.

    I cannot fully explain my moral compass. I can just say that I would do what most of the public and I think is right. However, what most of the people think is right may not be correct. Therefore, I also follow what the official law says.

    I can only conclude that I this idea of modifying people's minds to make this world morally upright is disgusting and it would never completely solve the general problem.

    ReplyDelete
  27. After reading this article, I was extremely amazed by it. Scientists actually found out that some parts of the human brain could control our moral values. From the beginning, I thought that moral values are cultivated during our growth and they will change as we face different problems in our lives. Never did I thought that our brain could actually control our moral values. However, I believe everyone had their own definition of "moral" and thus I think the brain may not fully control one's moral. However, I could not believe what will happen in the future since technology is so advance these days and scientists could made such amazing discovery. If Scientists really discover a way to control one's moral through the human brain, I think humans will be no different from robots. That would be so scary.

    309 (07)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I find that this is a very shocking discovery. I had no idea that there are actually specific parts of our brains to help us when we are faced with difficult moral dilemmas. This shows that we, as humans with perfectly functioning brains, have the ability to make the right decisions and stay firm to our moral values. This gives us all the more reason to not commit crimes or any inconsiderate acts. This discovery has indeed changed my perspective on morality. I now have a higher expectations on the moral values of others, including myself.

    So, why are crime rates still so high when we have brains to think before we act? It could be that some people don’t know how to use their brains (literally) and think twice before doing anything foolish. Or their brains may not be functioning properly.

    “Such research has also been used to study disorders such as obesity and gambling, suggesting the brains of people suffering from such afflictions are wired in a way that makes self-control difficult.”
    With this discovery, scientists may be able to find out how we can prevent obesity, gambling, etc from happening. This may prove to be one of the most helpful discovery yet.

    My moral compass would be to think of others before myself. I would try my best to be considerate towards others, and not to be so selfish all the time.

    ♥ Evelyn [o6] 309

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hey, this is a really cool finding.
    Drug or gambling etc rehabilitation centres/ SPF/ CNB/ hospitals can use this finding to help those in need!

    However, this sounds like our moral values are already etched into our brains the moment we are born. This scientific explanation may be a fact but i totally do not believe all those bad people are bad the moment they are born. ?!

    I think its more like external factors that affect their perspectives which changes that part in their brains. So this article does not change my perspective on morality. I think its how those people feel towards what they are doing- more of morality from the heart.

    Its all up to yourself whether you want to do something bad or good. If you know you are doing something, you( or external factors that already caused you to behave wrongly) would definitely know whether its bad or good(from news and press or general knowledge/common sense).
    Or just based on your own feelings, your sense of shame etc or even education.

    But too bad when you're committing murder and you think its beneficial la. HAHA. Then you should probably just make brain juice out of your brain and drink it. Or sponsor your brain for more research. LOL JUST KIDDING. HAHA.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think it is a surpising discovery by the
    scientists and it would help explain why a human being behaves in this way and others in different ways.
    There may be many factors that affects a person's behaviour for example, the environment, the person's upbringing and many more.
    With this discovery, the scientists could invent medicine that could control a person's emotion and it would help those with anger management.
    Overall, there are many good factors and bad factors that affects a person's behaviour and it is not easy to explain how a person behaves and I think that it would take a few more decades of research to confirm this fact.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Other than feeling surprised, I feel quite uncomfortable thinking of the amount of things scientist can do to our brains now that they've made this discovery.

    I've always thought that moral values can be taught/ instilled into people. Does this mean that people do not need to be taught moral values?

    ReplyDelete
  32. I once read from a book that normal human only make use 5% of their brain. The 5% needs to process plenty of information every second. The brain is thus to say the most complex part of an organism. I believed that the sense of moral could be passed down through genes, as our brain stores the information by sequencing neurons, which will result in the change of DNA. But definitely one’s attitude and morality will change with the environment one grow up in.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am pretty amazed but worried to know that our morality is actually controlled by our brains! It is quite and unbelievable discovery! Isn't our moral values cultivated through time, environment, the people we are exposed to and other such factors? Now, we are supposed to remember that that is not true anymore as it is our brains that are responsible for our morality. I hope it does not mean that we are born with that standard of morality which can no longer be changed as that would mean that the rightness and wrongness that we perceive cannot be changed for the better. I also hope scientists would not invent or find ways to do funny things to control others' morality, which has both advantages and disadvantages. However, I believe that with more control and power, there will be more problems that outweigh the rewards. I'd rather we just stay as we are, without the scientists' intervention in our moral perception.

    ReplyDelete
  34. i'm kind of amazed by this article that humans use some parts of the brain specifically when faced with moral dilemmas.

    This means that morality have already been with us since the day we are born. I've always thought that moral values are drilled into us throughout the period when we grow up. So now this makes me think why are crime rate still so high. isit because of the enviorment that one is living in and affecting him/her?

    ReplyDelete
  35. Kaserlyn, 309, (12)April 12, 2009 at 3:27 AM

    I'm amazed by this discovery as I had always thought that our moral is a instinct from ourselves instead of from the use of brain.

    This article had not change my perspective on morality as although parts of our brain is used when we face moral issues, it does not mean that we would fully rely on our brain when we face these issues. We would still know how to differenate from what is right and what is wrong and thus I think that this article had not change my perspective on morality.

    My moral compass is to never do things which I would regret.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Honestly, I think that this article, peppered with many scientific terms that bewildered me, is very cheem. [profound] I had to read the article several times before I got the gist of it.

    Indeed, this research is laudable as scientists have managed to enter a realm generally left to philosophers and theologians. This research shows that it's the brain, and not the heart that controls one's moral acts.

    How does this affect my view on morality? Well, I think that this is good news. At least this research doesn't show that one's character is set in when one is born. I believe that a person's morality is affected by the environment and society that he is in, the people that he mixes with and the education that he receives. We can instill good vales into a person.

    To me, morality is being true, sincere, selfless..in fact, all the values that our school embraces as well. As long as we learn from our bumps along the way and try to be the best that we can be, I'm sure that we'll do fine.

    Now, I think I belong to the group of people in the research who respond powerfully to food. I have a moral dilemma, should I attack that butter croissant, or not?

    ReplyDelete
  37. I think that it is amazing that scientists are able to have so much findings on the human brain. This may also help to improve the health and people with mental problem.

    However, I still think that morality is not something that we can control. Everybody is different and nobody ever thinks in the same manner for everything. It may be able to change the mindset of some people on certain subjects, but not the morality of everybody in this world.

    My moral compass would be built mostly on the teachings of the bible, but the main one would be to think of other people before myself.

    Rachel [04]
    S310

    ReplyDelete
  38. Chua Zhan Teng (24) 309April 12, 2009 at 5:54 AM

    Lol...abit late huh...

    Well anyway, i feel that moral values are instilled into human beings as part of them becoming adults in society. Thus, the term 'growing up'. I would believe that there is a moral centre of the brain and as we grow up, that part of our brain develops depending on how we are moulded morally.

    It is amazing, really, at how advanced technology is nowadays. This discovery has the potential to perhaps change crimminals and help them to repent from their bad(evil?) ways.

    My moral compass...? well i would say it is the teachings of my parents and through trial and error of life, where i learn whats right or wrong through the consequences. And of course...the bible. (haha rachel i didnt copy,its true)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Though the finding may seem as a huge one to researchers and medias all around the world, it does not amaze me as a regular student whatsoever, probably due to the fact that I have little knowledge of the brains in our human beings. Having to know more about our moral controlling fragments in our brains makes me want to know more about how it works. As a whole, the theory may in turn help the next generation in the future. In knowing that which parts of our minds are used to control our emotions such as depression, it is good to prevent our emotions from overtaking us in an attempt to keep ourselves intact and healthy.

    My perspective of morality has always been the code of conduct in which a person determines whether his doings are right or wrong. After reading this article, I aware that our moralities may not be as easy to control as it seems, being able to be affected by what we do in our daily lives as such causing disruptions in our feelings. Therefore, it is important for us to realize and minimize the effects of daily activities to our brain control.

    My moral control has always been the knowledge in my day-to-day studies passed down by our teachers. I had always felt safe and sound during the school periods. As such, my negative emotions of anger and pressure are duly minimized during these times. Friends and families are a great help for our morals too. Since young, what was passed down from my parent is easily pulling off now as I felt more mature and responsible as a person thanks to the usual teachings and firm demands heard as a toddler.

    Kang Jie(37) 310.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Misa MItsugi (11) 309April 12, 2009 at 6:39 AM

    i'm amazed by these findings. it is pretty intriuging that we have a moral centre in our brains and that everyone has morals naturally. therefore, they do not have to be planted in us. perhaps, they need to be constantly worked upon? like...your conscience? if you keep doing wrong, your conscience will be dulled..or something.

    however, i'm also quite unsettled by this. this means that with all these...progress in neurology, the scientists may be able to create/invent something which will be able to control certain parts of the brain. and they'll consider this a "progress" too, and some people may abuse such things. then aren't we no different from robots?

    this article...has not changed my perspective on morality. i still believe that moral values are important and that they will help shape our life. moral values should still be instilled at a young age and they will help us mature and became adults. without moral values, we'll be selfish, then will we not be the same as a child?

    What is your moral compass? my moral compass is the values and lessons i've learnt as i grew up. another is the bible and the teachings i receive every week.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Bryan Chew(24) 209April 12, 2009 at 7:18 AM

    Well i am pleased to know that scientists are making headway on this sector of our body. So they have figured the parts of the brain that is the moral centre. I am interested to find out what they can they find out or invent with this knowledge. Could they... help people 'Learn' values. After reading misa's comment i would like to disagree with her.

    She disagrees/dislikes the possibility of us 'learning' moral values through 'man-made editing'. However, i would like to say, what is the difference, people would still learn those values regardless assuming there will be no side effects. The benefits also, would be helping those who have ...' moral problems' learn.

    Sorry ms rani for being late... =)

    ReplyDelete
  42. I think that it is quite interesting as scientists unravel more ‘secrets’ of the brain. By doing such research, I agree that people will get to know and understand more about how the brain works. However, I do not think that actions done by humans are solely based on specific brain processes, but rather, they are being done because several other factors are also included, perhaps under the influence from others, peer pressure, etc.

    Also, it is a natural phenomenon when the brain activates areas when humans are prompted by moral quandaries. So different people will have different morals as their brains activate different areas differently and this will lead to people who commit all kinds of vices or simply the ‘bad’ people and others who are righteous and kind or simply named as the ‘good’ people.

    Morality normally refers to a code of conduct that, given specified conditions, would be put forward by all rational persons. Therefore, it is also possible to say that people who have no morality are irrational but this is usually subjective. So I do not think that this article has changed my perspective on morality.

    ReplyDelete
  43. after reading this article, i am surprised. this is because i thought that moral values are cultivated by oneself and the people around them . furthermore, if we are able to control ones moral values, why is there an increase in the crime rates? why can't people resist the urge to do things that will hurt others.

    this also shows that our moral values are not set the moment we are born. this meant that when everyone was born, we are pure little young ones. gradually as we grow older, we start to get influenced bu our surroundings.

    i feel that besides thinking of our moral values, we should also refrain ourselves from doing certain things. moral values should be instilled in us when we are young, not after commiting some sin.

    ReplyDelete
  44. After reading this article, I was deeply intrigued by this finding. I never knew that there was actually a part of our brain that is able to activate itself when we're faced with a moral difficulty. It just leads me to think about how this "moral centre" actually works, and what exactly happens when people commit wrong acts like raping or stealing, just to name a few. Since humans are able to "activate areas of the brain associated with the abstract thought and such basic emotions as sex, fear and anger", then why is it that people still commit these wrongdoings? Is it because of a fault in the moral centre, or just cultivated throughout the years of upbringing, or maybe even caused by environment? Does the finding also mean that morality is not something that is cultivated or instilled throughout the years of growth but rather born within us? Does this mean that a if a person commits a crime, it's not entirely his fault because he's born with it? I don't know, there's just so much more to know and understand, I guess.

    This article hasn't really changed my perspective on morality. I've always believed that a person's character and behaviour is based on how this person is being brought up. If one is brought up in a good environment then it is most likely he has good moral values, and vice versa.

    About my moral compass, I don't commit major sins so, let's just leave it this way haha.

    Anyawy, sorry I'm overdue by a day.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I am really surprised after reading this article as i thought that moral values are cultivated by one. However, i think that this discovery is quite a good one but it makes me think about why people still commit crimes when they knew about moral values and all. To think of it, its quite brainless actually. For the good thing about this discovery, people will be able to learn more about their brain, their body and more.

    With this discovery, I think that more inventions will be invented but the advanced in technology will mean that some will abuse it. If you really think about it, nowadays people are similar to robots being controlled by technology and some other advanced areas.

    However, with this new discovery, I hope that it can be used to change the lives of people in 1st world countries. For example, to cure gambling and stuff like that.

    Very sorry about the last post! My com crashed.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I am very shocked at this discovery.I never knew that the parts of our brain which control our moral centre could be discovered.This discovery would certainly mean that the actions of one could be controlled easily.

    However,this prospect has not changed my opinion on morality.This is because,despite the fact that they have discovered the parts which control this, i think that this part of the brain is unique in everyone.Thus the morals of one still differs with one another despite this finding.

    Furthermore despite this finding it would take even more research to meddle with anyone's moral compass.The moral compass of one thus remains unique at this point.

    My moral compass is loyalty,sincerity,diligence and honesty.I feel that a person's morals should be guided along these lines.

    I feel that the discovery of this should be kept confidential.This is because if it falls into the wrong hands,it might be researched on and those people may find a way to meddle with one's morals.This would cause another revolution of 'weapons' to be used on people.

    ReplyDelete